Friday 2 March 2012

Define Success Your Way!



How many times have you thought success always seemed to happen to the other guy, or gal? I know I have. And how many times have you set goals intended to make a positive difference to your life and the lives of your loved ones? And for whatever reason, they just didn't quite happen. But they're still there niggling away in the back of your mind. And sooner or later, you KNOW you'll just HAVE to do something about them.

First off, your goals have to be specific to YOU. Don't allow someone else's life to be a yardstick for your own. I know some of the goals I set for myself don't come naturally but I work at them. I prefer instead to think of the possibilities and so should you. I'm no good at athletics for example but I like running (ahem, jogging... occasionally), I wasn't particularly academic at school (I preferred to draw!). Art, technical drawing or woodwork and I was happy as Larry!

Comparing doesn't work. I bet if you put a brain surgeon into your job, they couldn't do it as well as you because they don't have your skills or experience (provided you're not a brain surgeon already that is!), and this is true for all of us. We each have our own unique skills and abilities, and we should focus on them and what we're best at. Furthermore, you probably already know where your skills and interests lie.

"The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make
a living at doing what they most enjoy" ~ Malcolm Forbes

I was always told I was too interested in other people - and now I get the opportunity to use that interest by helping put people in front of resources which make use of the skills and talents they already possess. And in the process, create success their way!

To YOUR success! 

4 comments:

  1. Really gained a lot from this, not much into academics also, i prefer to write and also believe success is making a living out of what you enjoy doing most. Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. You're absolutely right about striving to succeed at what you enjoy most - but how many of us actually manage it? Keep focussed and keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I could have found my self stuck in a career that was not for me - Years ago I was studying IT and loving it (at the time) it was my ticket to the "perfect" job choice for me.

    However due to some issues popping up in life I was forced to leave the IT scene for a few years. Now here is the really cool part - Those issues that at the time seemed really bad actually saved me from joining a career that I now realize was not for me at all.

    It was just the other week that I actually thought about this, I sat back and ran through a "what if..." scene based on the issues not happening and where I could be today.

    The short answer - Not Happy - I would have started out loving my new IT career and by now I would be hating it.

    I think what I am trying to say is that we should really look at where we are sometimes and get of the train before we are forced too (or worse start thinking there is no way off) and when "bad" things happen it really can be a blessing in disguise.

    Sorry for rambling on like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arron,
      thanks very much for your valued comments. They say the average number of different careers we embark on during our working lives is seven! (that's about right for me... ahem!)

      You are indeed one of the few who has taken stock of themselves and asked some important questions of yourself, even looking into your own future. For that alone you should pat yourself on the back!

      Whatever gives you the most joy is where your future lies. Sometimes it can take seemingly forever to make this discovery, but it really is what makes us all tick.

      I wish you well with your future. Do pop back and let me know how you're getting on.

      All the best to you and yours

      Delete